The seven wonders of the world created by Mother Nature - here they are is written by Circle Colberg.
Do you know all the seven natural wonders that our green earth has created? You will find the spectacular natural wonders in USA, Mexico, north, South Africa, Brazil, Australia og Nepal. You might be thinking The Iguazu Falls i Argentina, Halong Bay i Vietnam or Komodo Islands i Indonesia - but this is no longer the case. New wonders have since been added, when again in 2020 a vote was taken on which places deserved a place as one of the seven natural wonders.
A natural wonder is a natural site or natural monument that has not been created or altered by humans. All seven natural wonders still exist to this day and you will certainly not regret putting these places on your own wish list of destinations in the near future.
Grand Canyon in the USA - the greatest of the world's seven natural wonders
You only need a brief glimpse of Grand Canyon to understand why it is on the list of the seven wonders of the world created by nature. The massive and colorful landscape of Arizona offers a view so stunning that you can be in doubt as to whether it is reality or a painting you are standing and looking at.
As a tourist, you will most certainly visit the southern part of the Grand Canyon, where you will be greeted with a beautiful panorama of the gorge. But if you are in good shape, then finally take the opportunity to follow some of the many hiking trails down the gorge - you will not regret it, even if the pulse comes up well.
If you have a little extra money in your pocket, take the family on a helicopter ride and have an unforgettable experience of a lifetime that is hard to match. Here, the helicopter flies down into the Grand Canyon itself, so you get more out of your visit. And who knows who did this? You're a real daredevil if you dare.
Remember to visit the Geological Museum before leaving the Grand Canyon. Here you get lots of information about the formation of and the geology of the gorge.
Here's how to explore the Grand Canyon on foot and up close:
- Day hikes
- Night hikes
- Overnight stay outdoors
- On the back of a mule
- White water rafting
- From the observatory ramp
- The hiking trails near the edges of the gorge - for the brave…
The volcano Parícutin and Michoacán in Mexico
It probably comes as a bit of a surprise to most, but the volcano Parícutin is also on the list of the seven wonders of the world. But why? The volcano has earned its place as one of the seven natural wonders as the locals in the area actually witnessed its birth and its rapid growth to what it is today. It is a marvel in itself.
In 1943, the volcano Parícutin in the state of Michoacán erupted in Mexico suddenly rose from the ground and went into eruption. The eruption continued for 9 years, and today the volcano rises 410 meters above the ground. The hardened lava covers 26 square kilometers, and the volcanic sand that followed up covers 52 square kilometers.
Do not deceive yourself for a ride on horseback around the top of the volcano. Or hiking through sandbanks and lava around the volcano. There are actually no excuses for not leaving, as the state of Michoacán west of Mexico City in the central part of the country does not really have a bad travel season, and therefore Parícutin can be experienced from its good side all year round.
Worth knowing about the volcano Parícutin:
- You will find Parícutin in the state of Michoacán in Mexico
- The last outbreak was in 1952
- The volcano is to this day known as the youngest volcano in North America
Northern Lights - experience one of the world's seven natural wonders up close
You can experience one of the seven wonders of the world from the side of nature without having to go to the other end of the world. You can just take the car and drive north to our northern hub countries.
Northern Lights you can experience in several different countries. Do you travel to the northern regions of the globe such as Alaska, Greenland, to Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and the northernmost part of Russia og Canada - then you may be one of the lucky ones who see the green and violet waves of the northern lights dancing across the sky and radiating a phenomenal glow out on the horizon.
One can not completely predict when the Northern Lights will occur. Your best chance is to plan your trip to the northern regions in the months of March to April and September to October.
Worth knowing if you want to see the northern lights:
- The probability of seeing the northern lights increases during the winter months
- Aurora borealis - also called the Northern Lights - can only be experienced in the northern hemisphere
- The southern aurora - called the aurora australis - can be experienced in the southern hemisphere
- The Northern Lights give off a glow of green, blue and red colors, which are created by the emissions of photons in the Earth's upper atmosphere
Victoria Falls - a wild natural wonder in southern Africa
With almost two kilometers in width and the fall of the river Zambezi of over 100 meters down a large gorge, Victoria Falls is one of the largest and most spectacular waterfall in the world. It is almost heavenly forces that are at play here, and the waterfall is of great importance to the local tribes in the area, who worship the waterfall as a deity.
The rainy season runs from late November to early April. Since water is naturally essential for a waterfall, you might think that the rainy season will be the perfect travel time, but no. All the extra water risks 'ruining' your experience of the waterfalls, as it becomes almost impossible to see the bottom of the waterfall, and it all turns into water fog.
Therefore, plan your trip to Zambia, Zimbabwe and Zambezi outside the rainy season if the wonder waterfall is on your list of places to visit.
Worth knowing if you want to visit Victoria Falls:
- Victoria Falls is three times higher than Niagara Falls in the United States
- You can get to the waterfalls from the towns of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe and Livingstone in Zambia
- The best views are from the Zimbabwe side
- You get closest to the wonder from the Zambia side
- Get a great view of Victoria Falls from one of the many helicopter rides on offer
- If you dare, you can take a white-water rafting trip on the Zambezi
- During the full moon, you may be lucky enough to experience a "moon arc" - a rainbow in the middle of the night in the moonlight
River of Janeiro Natural Harbor in Brazil
One of the world's most beautiful natural harbors is located in Brazil. The Port of Rio de Janeiro, also known as Guanabara Bay, is surrounded by the Sugarloaf Mountain and the statue. Christ the Redeemer. The harbor in the lively big city Rio de Janeiro is one of the seven natural wonders of the world, and Guanabara Bay holds many experiences.
You can see the harbor in so many ways that it looks different from every angle you look from, and it can be confusing - but also really interesting.
How to explore Guanabara Bay:
- Take a helicopter ride and snap the perfect aerial photo of the harbor that you can treat yourself to friends and family
- Take the cable car up to the mountain Sukkertoppen early in the morning. You get a great view of the harbor before the sun's rays hit
- At the top of Mount Corcovado you will find the statue of Cristo Redentor. Here the afternoon is best to use for your visit, and you get a fabulous view of the harbor and Sukkertoppen
Great Barrier Reef in Australia
The world's largest coral reef and a completely unique underwater world. Along Australiens Northeast coast of the state of Queensland you will find another of the seven wonders of the world, and this time it is underwater: Great Barrier Reef. The coral reef consists of almost 3.000 individual reefs, and here you will find many vulnerable and endangered species.
If you haven't visited the coral reef yet, now is the time. The Great Barrier Reef gives you the opportunity to experience havets wildlife up close.
To get the most out of your visit, feel free to book a day trip or multi-day trip. Here you can spend the night on a catamaran, where you can snorkel or dive in different places on the many reefs. Maybe you spot a sea turtle in the surface or a shark in the deep water.
The Great Barrier Reef offers many experiences at sea, on land and even in the air. You will definitely not forget your visit to the world's largest coral reef just yet.
Worth knowing if you want to experience the Great Barrier Reef:
- The Great Barrier Reef stretches 2.600 miles
- The coral reef is the only living organism that is visible from space
- The Whitsundays archipelago is located in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef and consists of a total of 74 sand islands
Mount Everest in Nepal - by far the highest of the seven wonders of the world
It probably comes as no surprise that Mount Everest is one of the world's seven naturally created wonders. It is the highest mountain on the planet and it actually still grows by a few millimeters a year. Each year, hundreds of aspiring mountaineers attempt to climb Mount Everest. However, it does not end well for everyone as more die in the attempt to reach the top of the mountain. Of course, this should not deter you from doing the experiment.
If you want to venture out as a mountaineer, it just has to be said that the safest way to experience Mount Everest for an ordinary person is a hike to the bottom of the mountain. If, on the other hand, you are more experienced and have the courage with you, you can move out on the first part of the mountaineering stage to the upper 'basecamp' on Mount Everest. Remember that if you are planning to climb this mountain - or one of the others in the country - you will need to purchase a climbing permit from the Nepalese government.
Worth knowing about Mount Everest if you are considering experiencing this natural wonder:
- Mount Everest is almost as high above havets surface, which commercial aircraft flying
- The Himalayas and Mount Everest are traditionally considered by locals to be the home of the gods. The mountains are considered shrines
- Mount Everest is on the border between Nepal and Tibet in China
- If you are thinking of climbing Mount Everest, you need to be in extremely good shape and be able to carry an average of 30 kilos throughout the trip
- The best season to experience Mount Everest is autumn. Be sure to visit the area in October and November when the dry season starts and it does not snow
The beautiful natural world
Which place, do you think, deserves the place as one of the seven natural wonders?
In 2011, the list was made up of the seven wonders below - you know them for sure:
- Amazon rainforest, South America
- Halong Bay, Vietnam
- Iguazu Falls, Argentina og Brazil
- Jeju Island, South Korea
- Komodo Islands, Indonesia
- Puerto Princesa National Park, Phillipines
- Table Mountain, South Africa
We hope you were inspired to visit one or more of these seven natural wonders - both the new and the old. Have a good trip out into the world!